Goal 1: Increasing Austrian defense readiness by means of research contributions in the field of defense technology to improve military capabilities. The Austrian Defense Research Funding Programme ensures contributions that are relevant to research, primarily in the field of defense technology, supporting the military task fulfillment.
- the specific military needs for future resilient armed forces are covered
- the creation of the necessary defense policy knowledge to further increase the innovative capability of the ÖBH is driven forward
- an increase and acceleration (parallel instead of sequential) of militarily requested research-output is ensured
Goal 2: The positioning of the Austrian Armed Forces as partner of economy, as well as RTO/ university research institutes.
The Austrian Defense Research Funding Programme positions the BMLV and the ÖBH as partner of economy for research, innovation and technology development beyond KIRAS.
- The expansion of the mutual knowledge base and the development of other networks are achieved
- A contribution to the strengthening of defense research in regard to excellence is accomplished
- The expansion of the mutual appreciation and an increase in the foundation of trust with civil research actors is pursued
Goal 3: Improvement of the chances of Austrian participants in the international competition concerning defense research (EU research programmes).
Due to the defense research programme the national defense-research-competences (amongst others because of the establishment of defense-research-clusters (DRC)) are enhanced in a way, that keeps or rather makes national research institutes competitive on the international level in defense research (EU research programmes).
- An active participation of national research institutes within the newly set up national defense research clusters,
- An increased creation of defense research projects and
- A more intensive participation by national research institutes in the international programmes, which are relevant for defense research (e.g. PADR, EDRP, EDA …) are aimed at.
The projects funded in the course of the FORTE-programme should support, in the long run, the creation respectively the securing of qualified jobs in Austria and contribute to the Austrian value chain.